From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: lzma tarball usage
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 20:10:41
1 Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 >> I think, as long as there is no really minimal lzmadec available
4 >> yet (as standalone package), we should more standard compressors
5 >> like gzip or bzip2. Adding that whole bunch of deps just to save a
6 >> few bytes IMHO isn't worth it.
7 >
8 > Keep in mind that this might mean doing our own repackaging of
9 > upstream if they don't have a supported option. I think the only
10 > other option would be to create an "lzmalite" package or something
11 > like that which simply contains the decompressor in ordinary C. You
12 > could really turn that into a separate package like gentoolkit or
13 > whatever - I wouldn't actually embed the code into portage since that
14 > isn't the unix way and it just forced other package managers (and
15 > other distros) to do the same thing. An lzmalite package could have a
16 > life of its own and as a result benefit from fewer bugs/etc.
17 >
18 > But, I'm not going to be the one writing the thing, so feel free to
19 > not listen to any of this... :)
20 All upstreams in question still use gzip, they have only dropped bzip2
21 support in favor of lzma.
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list