From: brettrsears@×××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Beauty of Unix
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:52:02
1 Pp
2 Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
6 Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 14:30:56
7 To: <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
8 Reply-to: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
9 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Beauty of Unix
10
11 I agree with Paul Varner's comment.
12
13 There are places where a tight-coupling makes sense (the kernel) and places
14 where it doesn't (system admin and userspace development.)
15
16 My objections to the systemd plans is philosophical. There are some
17 folks who want to make Linux
18 into a Desktop System environment that works out of the box in the
19 manner of Windows. There are reasons to do this,
20 and there are reasons not to do this. On the one hand, to compete
21 with MS Windows one must become MS Windows;
22 on the other hand. doing that cuts deeply into the things that make
23 Linux (and all the *NIX's) powerful and adaptable.
24
25 When SysVInit was developed (circa 1981) there were serious
26 limitations on the hardware it ran on in terms of speed
27 and memory. Additionally, there were missing software algorithms and
28 methods to solve some of the problems it
29 had to deal with. A decision was made to punt some of the problems to
30 a capable human mind rather than to spend
31 precious time and resources trying to solve them computationally. This
32 is, of course, the need for the admins to look at
33 the services dependency graph and let them adjust the startup
34 sequencing by hand.
35
36 Hardware capabilities and software methods advanced quite fast and Sys
37 V Init (being standardized) did not keep
38 up with the times. Various extensions and replacements for the
39 Init/startup methods were developed, and most
40 added dependency descriptions and automatic solving to the mix, while
41 trying to preserve the ease of using shell scripts
42 for getting things done. OpenRC is one of the contenders and it is
43 highly adaptable as new technologies are
44 introduced (such as automatic device configuration a la eudev.)
45
46 Systemd's method, though, rips out huge chunks of many different
47 system components and replaced them with a
48 monolithic structure that takes control of everything between the
49 kernel's construction of the first process and the
50 startup of the selected desktop environment. It also imposes strict
51 interface requirements on the API of service
52 daemon startup and which desktop environments it wants to support.
53
54 The monolithic structure and resource requirements severely limit the
55 hardware that can be used (to fairly recent
56 amounts of memory and processor speed.) This, like Microsoft's
57 methods, leaves a lot of not-so-old hardware
58 out in the cold in a forced obsolescence.
59
60 Additioinally, the development methods used, and the future plans for
61 systemd, make it clear that its objective
62 is to make a tighly integrated system that can compete with Microsoft
63 in its own arena. [And don't get me started
64 on the personalities involved!]
65
66 I use systemd when required, and I can even tweak the internals when
67 necessary. But for my own use, I much
68 prefer the freedom to customize and construct things on my own.
69 Perhaps I am and "old fogey" living in the past,
70 but I think some other folks would object to that characterization. I
71 have been involved in computing since 1958,
72 and have made (and continue to make) some significant contributions to
73 the field (even if my name is not publicly
74 associated with them.) I have been in the trenches of (F)OSS for a
75 long time and would love to see Linux+GNU
76 in a significant number of non-technical users' hand and homes.
77 However, I do not think that the only way to
78 accomplish that is by becoming another Microsoft.
79
80 This discussion should not be about which system is better or worse.
81 There should be room in the concept space
82 that preserves to ability to choose what a person wants on their
83 machine, rather than having the environment
84 dictated by some corporate entity looking to achieve market dominance.
85 The "average users" these days have
86 no concept of the magic behind the buttons on the screen and the
87 keyboard, and most are just willing to consider
88 the devices unrepairable when they fail and just go get another one.
89 The advertising driven consumer culture
90 really doesn't want the consumers' to know what is going on behind the
91 scenes. but it still requires that some
92 do know and can keep the infrastructure running and advancing.
93
94 That is enough ranting for now. Carry on.
97 G.Wolfe Woodbury
98 redwolfe@×××××.com