From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install of rc6-10.tbz2
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:54:06
1 On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 09:36:09PM -0700, Daniel Parker wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > Not sure if this is the right list but here goes...
5 >
6 > I've gotten all the way thru the install (looks great!), and reboot.
7 >
8 > I logon as root (just hit enter at the password) and all is still fine
9 >
10 > I type passwd to change root password. I enter the new password two times
11 > then wait a bit and get "fatal error in passwd"
12 >
13 > So I try adduser, and I get "unable to lock password file".
14 >
15 > The question is, how do I fix this?
16
17 Does the /etc/shadow file exist? I heard someone else say that for some reason
18 it didn't show up. If so, we need to fix it :)
19
20 Best Regards,
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
24 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org