From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Clarification of packages cd's for 2005.1
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:53:28
1 I am looking at building a box this weekend. I want to use 2005.1 and if possible the packages cd (for a quick result) .
2
3 I have an athlon 1133. I am re-building it after a root account
4 compromise (don't ask or I'll cry).
5
6 According to the release announcement the package cd's don't seem to
7 have an athlon version any more. http://www.gentoo.org/news/20050808-annoncement-release-2005.1.xml
8 (the choices seem to be alpha amd64 ppc (32 bit) ppc (64 bit) sparc64
9 x86).
10
11 However on http://tracker.netdomination.org/ there are package cd's for
12 a whole lot of other sub-arches - i686, athlon-xp, P3, P4 and more. Are these official gentoo - if not can anyone tell me about their origin and reliability?
13
14 Also is "athlon-xp" compatible with "athlon"? Or should I go for i686?
15
16 Actually using i686 could be a bonus as it would mean I could share
17 binaries between my desktop and my p3 laptop, which is compiled for 686.
18 --
19 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list