From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Firefox bloat Was: chromium ...
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 02:36:48
1 Kent Fredric posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 23:28:17 +1200 as excerpted:
2
3 > I really wish there was a way to run ancient firefox with security fixes
4 > :(
5 >
6 > I've started to really draw hate for all the new stuff they're adding.
7 >
8 > I put up with australis for a few years, but I've finally had enough of
9 > it. ( Not merely the look and feel, but how it was implemented has
10 > rubbed me wrong for far too long, much longer than the typical "people
11 > hate new things" period )
12
13 FWIW, the australis thing never really affected me much. I had some
14 extensions (and configuration mania guified native options) changing the
15 look somewhat before, and have some extensions (and config mania options)
16 changing the look somewhat now. It did take me several hours (between
17 configuring and extension browsing) to get the new UI setup to something
18 I was comfortable with, but then I'm used to that any time I change
19 desktop (kde) major versions as well, and this was a comparable change.
20 I've never seen a desktop GUI I was entirely comfortable with as shipped
21 and I don't expect I ever will, and with the browser being used /as/ a
22 desktop more and more these days, and most people including me spending
23 more and more time in it even when they don't use it /as/ the desktop,
24 it's reasonably comparable, and the australis GUI intro /was/ in
25 practice /quite/ comparable to a major desktop upgrade, so I /expected/
26 to need to spend that time reconfiguring the GUI and extensions after the
27 australis upgrade, and it wasn't a big deal for me.
28
29 Tho I can definitely see the problem for people who actually /do/ find a
30 GUI they like (or have trained themselves to like) without having to
31 reconfigure/customize it, only to have the thing moved out from under
32 them once they are used to it. It's just that I'm not such a person, and
33 both the before and after were and remain impressively configurable with
34 extensions, so I never had that problem.
35
36 I am rather disturbed by bloat such as pocket, reader, and hello, but
37 config mania has options to disable hello, and I got rid of the pocket
38 icons as well, so the reader icon appearing in the address bar (which BTW
39 also has much of the not-so-awesome disabled, config mania again), so at
40 least I can keep them out of my face, even if they remain part of the too-
41 large audit footprint, etc.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman