From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:02:42
1 El mar, 27-03-2012 a las 14:53 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius escribió:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 27/03/12 02:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
7 > > <tetromino@g.o>
8 > >> The partitioning scheme is something that the user needs to
9 > >> decide on *before* getting Gentoo up and running. After the user
10 > >> had finished installing the operating system, it's too late to
11 > >> inform him about the advantages of a separate /usr/portage.
12 > >
13 > > Yes and no (if you have free space, you could easily move
14 > > /usr/portage - some other changes are harder).
15 > >
16 > > However, you could extend this line of argument to raid, lvm, and
17 > > even stuff like the use of systemd or an alternative package
18 > > manager. All of those things are much easier to implement if you
19 > > just start out with them.
20 > >
21 > > I'm all for creating a wiki to talk about some alternative
22 > > options. Perhaps even link to it at the start of the handbook in
23 > > the intro (if you're not in a rush and want to read about more
24 > > advanced configurations, check out ...).
25 > >
26 > > However, I tend to agree that the handbook should be a
27 > > nearly-foolproof no-frills Gentoo installation.
31 > You know, we have "Code Listing 2.1: Filesystem Example" in Section 4,
32 > we could always adjust that to have a /usr/portage partition in it
33 > (take a bit of space away from /home, or something)
34 >
35 > It doesn't recommend/require anything, but when users see it they'll
36 > think about it.
37
38 This would be a good option, but I would anyway add a note warning
39 people about the cons of having portage tree in a normal partition with
40 the rest of the system, otherwise people could simply ignore that code
41 listing because they could thing it's there simply on a try to get all
42 system "splitted" ;) (for example, I don't usually have a separate
43 partition for all what is listed there, only /, /home and /usr/portage)