From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/x265: x265-1.0.ebuild ChangeLog x265-1.2.ebuild x265-0.8.ebuild
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:38:49
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/x265: x265-1.0.ebuild ChangeLog x265-1.2.ebuild x265-0.8.ebuild by Denis Dupeyron
1 Denis Dupeyron posted on Tue, 29 Jul 2014 07:58:26 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > [H]ere is what I was instructed to teach recruits back when I became a
4 > recruiter in 2006 or 2007, and what competent developers have been doing
5 > since even before I was a developer:
6 >
7 > The package.mask file is only for temporary masking, even if more or
8 > less long term. Anything that should be permanently masked has no place
9 > in the tree. Live ebuilds should not be keyworded, reflecting the fact
10 > that the code they're pulling has not be tested for any architecture due
11 > to it being live. Moreover, live ebuilds should not be masked as this
12 > results in unnecessary cruft in the package.mask file.
13
14 Thanks. That makes sense, tho it does conflict with "content-touchless"
15 bumps from the live ebuild.
16
17 In the context of that policy and a content-touchless-bump goal, I
18 suppose I'd script the bump, pulling keywords from the highest previous
19 version, prepending the ~ as necessary and inserting them in the keywords
20 line after copying the file from the live-ebuild . That wouldn't be
21 content-touchless, but the touch would be automated so as to avoid
22 mistakes and unnecessary work.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman