From: Kain <kain@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo ppc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:08:00
1 On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:34:38PM +0100, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > University of Brussels and I would really like to help maintaining
3 > (creating?) the Gentoo ppc port :-)
4 >
5 > already started such a project. If so, does he/she needs some support and
6 > would he/she be so kind to tell me where I can find more information about
7
8 I have already been working on this for about a week. I am actually in
9 the process of finally building a pmac cdimage.iso as I write this, and
10 will put up an alterate portage tree in a day or two.
11
12 Syscall #'s for XFS xattr support on PPC still need to be reserved.
13 They are already reserved on i386 for #226-#237, I believe. In the PPC
14 kernels I've built, I've just padded the syscall table up to 226 and
15 dropped these calls in there.
16
17 On another note. Is there a way we can come up with that we could
18 override the linux-headers package on a per-profile basis? This would
19 help make bootstraps easier.
20
21 Also, I keep running into a bug with sandbox that I haven't looked into
22 yet where stuff will freeze up (like an inf.loop.) with WCHANs often of
23 rt_sigwait(?) and pipe_wait...
24
25 I also hit a patch (the utility) bug that seems to be fixed by building
26 it the way debian does and maybe with their bugfix patches.. I'll be
27 submitting an .ebuild for this to bugzilla in a bit.
28
29 Also, I doubt that this could be achieved in the near-term, but
30 gcc-3.0.4 kernels on ppc oops for me under moderate vm load. :( Also, as
31 far as kernels go, I've managed to make a PPC kernel with XFS support, I
32 haven't tested anything reiserfs, nor do I really intend to.
33
34 Expect cdimage.iso/build.tbz2 and a rsyncable portage tree that (mostly)
35 works for ppc on Tuesday or so.
36
37 sandbox not working may just be because I've bootstrapped this from a
38 (almost bare) debian install... I'll have to try it again when I boot
39 strap from the gentooppc image I'm building.
40
41 Film at 11.
42 --
43 The Government just announced today the creation of the Neutron Bomb II.
44 Similar to the Neutron Bomb, the Neutron Bomb II not only kills people
45 and leaves buildings standing, but also does a little light housekeeping.
46 **
47 Friendly Neighborhood BOFH
48 Bryon Roche, Kain <kain@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
49 <kain@××××.org>