From: Eric Thibeault Jolin <irise-lenoir@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] package.mask
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:22:12
1 Portage works like a charm, but it is a chore to use package.masked
2 stuff and update often.
3 I want a /etc/package.mask file that doesn't get modified by portage and
4 overrides /usr/portage/profile/package.mask. I also want the ability to
5 write something like "! >=gnome-base/gnome-2.0.0_beta5" to force
6 unmasking a package. But user masking will be nice too, like to force
7 not installing jdk 1.4 on "emerge--update world" or to "remove nautilus
8 from gnome-base", at least in effect. When I said portage shouldn't
9 tamper with it, a possible exception might be when a package forced
10 unmasked in /etc is permanently removed from
11 /usr/portage/profile/package.mask, it might be good to remove it from
12 /etc/package.mask (respecting config protection, of course).
13
14 On the other point of view, a /etc/package.protect file might be useful
15 to manually protect a package or version of package from being removed
16 by "emerge clean".
17
18 As I said, it already works wonders, but these small changes and it will
19 be perfect! Okay, maybe not... almost perfect.