From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 02:43:12
1 On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:09:34 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > After the package has been sitting in ~arch for 90 days with an open
5 > stable request with no blockers that the arch team has not taken any
6 > action on. We are not talking about randomly yanking package versions,
7 > just doing something when arch teams are not responsive, and it seems
8 > that the cleanest thing to do would be to remove the old versions.
9
10 Exactly, the common case for stabilization bugs is that stabilization
11 just happens; as far as I have seen, it is rather rare that another
12 bug blocks the stabilization bug. At least this is the case for the
13 common package; as for important bugs, which should be treated with
14 more care, it is more common for these blocking bugs to get filed.
15
16 If the arch hasn't responded for X months; then marking a version
17 stable oneself on a non-important package should be acceptable, it
18 doesn't yield any huge problem afaik and isn't that much different.
19
20 And for that occasional mis-guess, *boohoo*, the user can just file a
21 bug; which ironically even happens occasionally for stable packages.
24 With kind regards,
25
26 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
27 Gentoo Developer
28
29 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
30 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
31 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D