From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: SCM choices
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:24:40
2 > Hash: SHA1
3 >
4 > Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:58:59 -0400
6 >> Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Please, everyone, go back and read the actual *facts* that were
9 >>> discovered using copies of *our* repositories before going around
10 >>> using data from outside sources.
11 >>
12 >> Alec Warner's test results are here, of course:
13 >>
14 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/cvs-migration.xml
15 >
16 > So can we please discuss what distributed SCM is best for the tree or
17 > likely to be in the future and
18 > what hard data obtained with what tests should be gathered to rank SCMs
19 > and what feature differences
20 > there are and how much we should care about them?
21 >
22 > Marijn
23
24 I think the main point of this discussion is you can discuss all you like
25 but no one is going to switch because of a discussion. If you want to
26 convert the tree to something else; get two boxes, do the conversion, get
27 some data and then present it. If darcs has reasonable benifits over the
28 current system then bonus; you would have data to back up any other points
29 you have in a discussion to switch. But without that data you have
30 nothing. Our tree is not a 'normal' dataset for many of these systems.
31
32 Here are some stats from the 6th of last April.
33
34 Total CVS Files: 234672
35 Total CVS Revisions: 1309603
36 CVS Repos Size in KB: 783590
37 First Revision Date: Fri Jul 28 00:35:42 2000
38 Last Revision Date: Thu Apr 6 01:02:36 2006
39
40 We do around 10k revisions a month; so add another 120000 revisions
41 (roughly) to that count to get to this year.
42
43 -Alec
44
45 --