From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enough about GLEP5{4,5}
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 18:35:33
1 On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:17:56 +0100
2 Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > If the problem had been adequately communicated in the first place
4 > (which is pretty much required for any proposal ime) instead of people
5 > being told they "don't understand so go away" we could have agreed
6 > then, that the issue was simply about knowing the EAPI before
7 > sourcing.
8
9 That is not what the issue is. That is half of what the issue is.
10
11 > As it is, we _finally_ have grudging submission that tightening the
12 > PMS to reflect QA reality works but is not "the best solution."
13
14 No, it would not be to reflect reality. We would have to tighten the
15 rules in such a way that it breaks things people have already done, and
16 if we were to do so it would either impose performance penalties or not
17 allow us the full scope of changes, and it would still require us to
18 wait a year or more before going ahead with any of these changes.
19
20 > (Even though the case for changing version format has not been made,
21
22 The Council disagrees.
23
24 > the argument applies to the other incompatible changes affecting
25 > global environment.)
26
27 No, that's a separate issue, and does not have the same performance
28 implications.
29
30 > Firstly, and most significantly, this only applies when the mangler
31 > does not have the ebuild metadata in cache.
32
33 Not true.
34
35 > Bear in mind portage automatically caches overlays
36 > under /var/cache/edb
37
38 You are confusing the dep cache with the metadata cache. They are not
39 the same thing.
40
41 > Secondly, for the mangler to determine the "best-visible", EAPI is
42 > not the only item under consideration. So again, there is a lie
43 > implicit: whether from cache or from file, the mangler will ALWAYS
44 > need some metadata on the ebuilds; CPV + EAPI is insufficient.
45
46 It currently, and will still with 55, require metadata from only *some*
47 ebuilds (usually just one). You're talking about making it require
48 metadata from all of the ebuilds.
49
50 > At very best, all EAPI in filename (wherever it is) does, is limit
51 > the set of ebuilds to those with a supported EAPI before the cache
52 > has to be consulted. For Gentoo users (who update as recommended)
53 > using Gentoo product, that's _every_ ebuild in the tree and overlays.
54
55 Er, no. It means we only have to consult any file at all for the best
56 version, and then go backwards down versions until we find a visible
57 version.
58
59 > So what practically are we accomplishing for our users?
60
61 We are letting package manager people make the changes needed so that
62 developers can write better ebuilds.
63
64 > And how much developer time would be wasted to do so, and indeed has
65 > already been wasted on this?
66
67 Thanks to emails like yours, lots.
68
69 > (If you don't think it is a problem, please feel free to say
70 > so /without/ resorting to insult over reason. If you think the
71 > proposal had merit: how come we've only now got agreement that
72 > easily-extractable EAPI works?)
73
74 Easily-extractable EAPI either has change scope limitations or a
75 considerable performance impact.
76
77 GLEP 55's getting nowhere because a small group of religious fanatics
78 are doing anything they can to derail it because it came from "the
79 wrong people". If you want to know the kind of arguments that are being
80 thrown against GLEP 55 now, just have a look at:
81
82 22:54 < ciaranm> it's been established by precedent that gleps propose
83 an enhancement, and that competing enhancements get their own gleps
84 22:55 < bonsaikitten> well, we claim precedent on this one
85 22:55 < bonsaikitten> so there :)
86 22:55 < ciaranm> point to your precedent please
87 22:55 < bonsaikitten> it is the precedent
88 22:56 < ciaranm> bonsaikitten: uh... i don't think you know what that
89 means..
90 22:56 < bonsaikitten> ciaranm: you refuse to accept time travel
91
92 Yup, the argument of the week against GLEP 55 is that we refuse to
93 accept time travel.
96 Ciaran McCreesh