From: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
To: stuart@g.o
Cc: mono@g.o, java@g.o, tcl@g.o, gnome@g.o, klasikahl@g.o, apache@g.o, perl@g.o, ruby@g.o, karltk@g.o, mythtv@g.o, jmglov@××××××××××.robbat2, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-www breakup - review required
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:18:09
1 On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 01:32, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hiya,
3 >
4 > If you are on the To: list, that means that one or more package that you
5 > maintain is affected by this proposal.
6 >
7 > Please send all replies to the list only!
8 >
9 > We're looking to *completely* remove the burgeoning 'net-www' category and
10 > replace it with a set of new categories:
11 >
12 > www-apache - for apache & it's plugins
13 > www-apps - for web-based applications (general dumping ground)
14 > (expect to break this up at some point in the future)
15 > www-client - for web browsers, plugins, and other 'clients'
16 > www-misc - dumping ground for stuff that doesn't run under a webserver
17 > www-proxy - for proxy servers
18 > www-server - for all web servers that aren't apache
19 >
20 > Some of the packages currently under 'net-www' will be moved into one of the
21 > 'dev-*' categories.
22 >
23 > You can find the list here:
24 >
25 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/www-split.txt
26 >
27 > Please take a look, and let me have your feedback.
28 >
29 > Best regards,
30 > Stu
31
32 memcached is currently in net-www/memcached. I'm thinking this would be
33 better suited to net-misc since it really is generic and doesn't have to
34 be used with web programming.
37 Regards,
38 -Lisa
39 <Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur>