From: monto <m0nt0@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How long can take an ebuild to compile ??
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:32:48
1 Hi everybody,
2 talking in #gentoo of azzurra (italian unofficial but populated irc
3 channel), there was a question, how long can take this or that ebuild to
4 compile?
5 This is a Frequently Asked Question there, so me and another person
6 (Swayer) decided to try to start a project.
7 The idea is to create a database containing the name of the packages and
8 the time to compile them. This time is expressed in bash_time (like
9 linux from scratch) and we can store a possible time which is the result
10 of the average time of all posts.
11 The bash time changes if the CPU change but the proportion will be the
12 same, so in a table of the db we will store the information about the
13 bash and the CPU and in another we will store information on the ebuild
14 and the bash_time to compile it.
15 I've thought to make 2 clients and 1 server:
16 1 client (simply python script) to get the information about the emerged
17 packages throught the /var/log/emerge.log file (like genlop), I will
18 store the information in a file that the user will upload to a php
19 interface to store the information in the database;
20 2 the second client is to get the information about the time to emerge
21 something. It can be a simply python script, we can make a frontend to
22 it, and it will connect to the database on the net, tell the CPU info
23 and show to the user how long it may take to compile the ebuild selected
24 3 the server is composed by a mysql or another sql database server and a
25 simple php interface to query the database and to store the information.
26
27 Do you think that this is a good idea? Suggestion? Comments?
28 I'd like to read what do you think :D
29 (if you think that it's a good idea, we need a hosting for the db and
30 the web-site, so any suggestion is wellcome :D )
31
32 Thanks for your attention and sorry for my poor English.
33
34 Pietro Montorfano
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list