From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:44:24
1 On 8/24/06, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > A distribution is more than just an entity that packages upstream
3 > tarballs. I agree with your point, but it misses a large chunk of what
4 > we do.
5
6 We do more than that, sure, but the vast majority of the day to day
7 work in Gentoo is exactly that - packaging software released by
8 upstream, and fixing bugs reported back from users.
9
10 What do you do that goes beyond this?
11
12 > If this is the Gentoo vision, then why are we even doing anything else?
13
14 Because folks want to? Because we've been recruiting people to
15 shoulder the load, instead of recruiting them into a culture? Because
16 we want to see Gentoo run on a wider variety of hardware than
17 $upstream has access to? Because we want to make Gentoo more
18 accessible to folks than it was in the past?
19
20 What activities are we doing that don't directly support the Gentoo vision?
21
22 > We've already reached our only goal, which is packaging stuff, and all
23 > we need to do is bump it.
24 >
25 > People need to feel that Gentoo is _moving forward_, that it's actually
26 > going somewhere.
27
28 We have no organisation that's going out there making deals with
29 commercial entities, ISV partners, nor users. In that respect, we're
30 a completely different beast to RedHat, SuSE and Ubuntu.
31
32 You're not the first, and you won't be the last, to complain that
33 we're not going anywhere. My question is simple : where do folks want
34 to go, and what is stopping them getting there? Seriously - what
35 exactly is this enormous brick wall that folks need a boost from
36 management to climb over?
37
38 > Then why wasn't the hierarchy fixed? Instead we somehow ended up in this
39 > huge metastructure debate and changed everything around.
40
41 It was hardly a "huge" debate, unless your only metric of measurement
42 is number of posts. Take that debate, and then re-imagine it as an
43 event in the physical world, with folks having face to face contact.
44 You'll find that none of these debates are really that big. They just
45 seem big, because electronc communications can be so inefficient.
46
47 Personally, I'm opposed to a return that that hierarchy. The idea
48 that somehow desktop, server, and other such projects should sit at an
49 exclusive top-table doesn't work for me.
50
51 Gentoo would be much more effective with having a core management team
52 that covered our key operations (infra, devrel, userrel, pr, releng,
53 and 'tools' - portage and catalyst), and which ensured that they all
54 worked together to give the outward appearance of an organised
55 distribution. Have management focus on what forms the "spine" of the
56 Gentoo organisation.
57
58 The lack of this management structure is, to pick one example, behind
59 the grief Infra are getting over the long-term problems with bugzilla.
60 Folks aren't complaining about bugzilla any more; they're complaining
61 about the problem continuing. Effective senior management would have
62 done three things in particular here which would each have made a
63 difference:
64
65 a) They would have provided oversight on Infra's handling of the problems.
66 b) They would have communicated effectively with the wider
67 organisation, explaining what was going on, why, and when it would be
68 resolved. This communication would be early, it would be frequent.
69 c) They would provide Infra with resources they can't get on their
70 own to solve the problem, including additional budget.
71
72 It's been agreed on -dev that it's not the existing Council's job to
73 do any of these things wrt the ongoing bugzilla problems. So
74 everyone's left with a service that's not fit for purpose at the
75 moment, and only Infra to grumble about. Everyone loses sight of the
76 steps Infra is taking to resolve matters, and nobody wins.
77
78 Your "top table" of herds does nothing to address what Gentoo really
79 needs. It's a step backwards at best.
80
81 > "Official" votes, sure. But what about GLEP discussions on -dev? That's
82 > the only way anything major ever happens, and it might as well be a
83 > requirement for a unanimous vote among all ~350 developers. The only
84 > time I can recall even a single dissenter before a GLEP moved on to the
85 > council was brix on Sunrise.
86
87 I call bullshit on this. Big time.
88
89 There are lots of major things happening all the time - you're one of
90 the people who make this happen - and they don't require GLEPs. GCC
91 upgrades, X.Org 7, Portage 2.1, Gentoo Overlays, Java 1.5 - these and
92 many _many_ more are all major things for the users affected by them.
93
94 What major things do you want to see that aren't getting done because
95 of the perceived need for GLEPs?
96
97 It's also worth pointing out that we're hardly snowed under with
98 GLEPs. There has been only 51 in the last three years; that's less
99 than two a month on average, and just under 50% of GLEPs were filed in
100 the first twelve months of the GLEP process's existance.
101
102 Your recollection is faulty; there _is_ no GLEP for sunrise.
103
104 > > The basic cause always comes down to weak or non-existent management.
105 >
106 > Yes, and that's exactly my point. We need stronger management.
107
108 We need _appropriate_ management. You can over-manage something just
109 as easily as under-managing it. Strong management is just as
110 misguided. It leads to bullying, and certainly over here in the UK
111 there is serious debate about whether it has gotten so far out of hand
112 that the law needs changing to address it.
113
114 > > I'm not sure how you can justify that statement. To the best of my
115 > > knowledge, that system has only been tested in full the once - when
116 > > Brian was suspended from the project and Ciaran was expelled.
117 >
118 > That in itself is proof enough. There were numerous instances where it
119 > _should_ have been tested but wasn't, because of all the hassle required
120 > to do anything.
121
122 You're accusing devrel of not taking disciplinary action against
123 Gentoo devs because the process is too much hassle? That would be a
124 very serious charge.
125
126 Or you're saying that Gentoo devs are not making complaints to devrel
127 because devrel's process is too much hassle? In that case, why are
128 you complaining on -dev about it? You know our conflict resolution
129 rules, and they don't include bitching about it on -dev.
130
131 > > Can you back this up with three examples in the last twelve months
132 > > where this has happened?
133 >
134 > Any long debate where more than 25% of the posts came from a single person.
135
136 I find that a poor criteria. If you think about how few folks in
137 Gentoo are involved in any one area, and that most change usually has
138 one person acting as 'poster boy' for it, it's inevitable that you'll
139 end up with long debates matching that sort of criteria.
140
141 Please, provide specific examples to support your arguments.
142
143 > > Hrm. Where is this lack of respect for devrel being displayed today?
144 > > What forms does this lack of respect take? If there's a lack of
145 > > respect at the moment, it's not for devrel.
146 >
147 > How about in Gentoo's complete inability to do anything about the
148 > constant trolling and people acting like assholes?
149
150 How is that a lack of respect for _devrel_? Wouldn't that be more
151 accurately described as a lack of respect between the trolls /
152 assholes and everyone else?
153
154 One person's troll isn't always another person's, as we'll see in a moment.
155
156 Who are the people you think Gentoo is completely unable to do anything about?
157
158 > We say we're about
159 > courtesy but we don't (can't?) do a damn thing about it, because it
160 > requires a huge, convoluted investigation and trial and nobody's willing
161 > to waste that much time.
162
163 What is stopping you fixing devrel? And why are you complaining to
164 -dev about devrel? Shouldn't you be complaining to _them_? And if
165 your complaint to them has been unsuccessful, have you complained to
166 the council? I can't find a record of that in the council logs (my
167 apologies if I've missed it).
168
169 I don't see how bitching on -dev is going to achieve anything - or how
170 it makes you any different from the unnamed folks you're complaining
171 about.
172
173 > I know this is partially changing, but I'm unsure that any group outside
174 > of the council will ever be trusted to suspend or kick people out.
175
176 The folks who don't accept devrel ... I don't see any reason why they
177 would accept the council on this matter. These things don't seem to
178 be about _who_ is doing the kicking ... it seems to be more about
179 whether the kicking should be happening at all.
180
181 I don't see how bringing in a dictator is going to suddenly change the
182 trust in these matters, either.
183
184 > Some Debian developers commented on my blog about how valuable DebConf
185 > was for this.
186
187 I've been told the same from other groups too. We'll see with the
188 trustee elections whether or not there's enough support for it amongst
189 Gentoo devs for it.
190
191 > > I'd also argue that we're _not_ powerless. It wasn't pleasant, but
192 > > the old system has shown that we can deal with genuine trouble makers.
193 >
194 > Barely, and with enormous effort ...
195
196 If I wanted to fire an employee at work, the effort involved is
197 _substantially_ more than what we went through with that process.
198 Sure, we can learn from it and improve matters (and devrel are doing
199 exactly that; they're not exactly sitting around doing sweet FA about
200 it), but you have to see things in perspective.
201
202 > > We don't have a democracy. Gentoo is largely a workocracy (there must
203 > > be a better word for it ;), where the vast majority decisions are made
204 > > by the folks who actually do the work.
205 >
206 > Only the small-scale decisions.
207
208 I can't agree with that. I think that's demeaning to all the package
209 maintainers, arch teams, releng folks, and other staffers who each and
210 every day make decisions that are very important to the users that
211 they are focused on.
212
213 > > Folks don't vote on stuff. To pick a recent example, none of the
214 > > folks who opposed Sunrise actually had any means to vote to prevent it
215 > > happening. What they had to do was to lobby the council, who were the
216 > > only folks with a vote.
217 >
218 > Oh, gimme a break. Screaming about it on -dev for hundreds of posts
219 > isn't just equivalent to a vote, it's better. It makes people think
220 > there's more than 2 developers opposed to it.
221
222 Bullshit.
223
224 You're shifting the argument here. You started by arguing that we
225 have a democracy - and that it's a bad thing - and when I give you a
226 real example of how folks didn't have a vote on something that was
227 important to them, you shift the argument to complain about folks
228 voicing their opposition.
229
230 For the record, there _were_ more than two developers opposed to it.
231 Both Ramereth and Kloeri have repeatedly voiced concerns about the
232 project. It was me who suspended the project in the first place, and
233 referred the whole matter to the council for guidance. That makes
234 five right there.
235
236 And even if there were only two, that's not important. Chris and Brix
237 brought up many valid points, and their efforts ensured the
238 fundamental problems with Sunrise were sorted out before they became a
239 wider problem for Gentoo. They did us all a favour in the long run.
240
241 I can't agree with your implied statement that they were trolling over
242 Sunrise, or being assholes. I do agree that there was a lack of
243 respect with our rules - which _clearly_ state that projects can go
244 ahead with no announcements, no discussions; all they need is to
245 create a project page. Sunrise followed those rules; I personally
246 made sure of it.
247
248 Those _rules_ created that mess, just as much as the Sunrise folks did.
249
250 But where was the outcry from folks, telling Chris and Brix to leave
251 things along, because Sunrise had followed our rules? There was none.
252 Where was the support for updating the rules, and ensuring that
253 another project couldn't do what Sunrise did the way they did it?
254 That was nowhere to be seen either.
255
256 Frankly, no-one seemed to give a damn about the rules either way.
257 That seems to be the real problem.
258
259 >From the perspective of what I work on, you've done _far_ more damage
260 with your comment on LWN about the Gentoo Overlays project than Brix
261 and Chris did with the Sunrise debate. I think you have a bloody
262 nerve complaining about trolls and arseholes on here after so casually
263 dismissing the overlays project as "a hack to allow for
264 quasi-distributed development without using a distributed
265 version-control system such as git, mercurial, etc." We set that
266 project up to strengthen our relationships with users, to help get
267 more folks involved in Gentoo, and you go to LWN of all places and so
268 casually dismiss it.
269
270 We're having a _terrible_ time getting folks outside Gentoo to take
271 any notice of what we do these days. LWN was just about the only
272 mainstream place that mentioned it at all (even GWN hasn't covered it
273 yet, but I'm sure it will).
274
275 Don't _ever_ do that again to one of my projects.
276
277 > Untrue, voices make a democracy.
278
279 No, they just make a noise. It's widely accepted that you can't have a
280 democracy without freedom of speech, but speech alone does not make a
281 democracy.
282
283 > I'd rather get rid of devrel altogether (at least its conflict
284 > resolution role) and have the council deal with this.
285
286 Where would someone make their appeal to, after the council decides to
287 kick someone out?
288
289 > You say "unelected" like it's evil. In a company, nobody gets elected,
290 > but a hell of a lot of work happens.
291
292 We are _not_ a company. We are a community; or at least, we're trying
293 our collective best to be.
294
295 There's nothing stopping you moving downstream and forming your own
296 company if you're passionate about adopting that model. Just because
297 Genux was a total disaster, it doesn't mean that the idea's a bad one
298 in principle.
299
300 (As an aside, folks _do_ get elected in publicly-traded companies, and
301 plenty of companies are terrible at getting work done, which is why
302 many thousands of them close down each year, and why many more of them
303 have weak earnings/costs ratios. It is competition which drives
304 progress, not whether you are a company or not. The whole Linux
305 revolution will stand forever in history as proof of that).
306
307 > What vote? I'm not running for anything, and I have no desire to do so.
308
309 My mistake.
310
311 Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you, and you do a
312 cracking job on the X11 stuff for Gentoo. But your arguments in this
313 debate have been surprisingly inaccurate, vague, and badly thought
314 through. I have such a high opinion of you from your Gentoo package
315 work that the low quality of your contribution here has really taken
316 me by surprise.
317
318 > I'm just trying to get people interested in fixing Gentoo so it's not
319 > stuck in the mud.
320
321 I respect that, but I don't see how you're going to change anything at
322 all going about it like this.
323
324 There's no detail in what you want to do, only a vague unhappiness
325 with how things are, a desire to return to the "good old days" that
326 never were, backed up by arguments that are demonstrably and factually
327 incorrect or incomplete.
328
329 What is your plan? Where do you want to take Gentoo, where it isn't
330 already going?
331
332 Where is your vision, your strategy, your roadmap, your action plans?
333 What are your targets for the next quarter, half, year, and five
334 years? What are your strategic project milestones, and what are the
335 enablers and tactical project milestones required to support them?
336 What are your resource requirements, and your budgets? Which
337 organisations do you need to partner with, and which do you need to
338 engage as suppliers? Which rivals do you intend to compete with, and
339 on what terms? Which values do you need to adjust to gain new
340 markets, and create blue oceans? Who are your senior staff who will
341 share and deliver these plans? What do you need to do to get them
342 onboard? Who are the core customers, and what are their values? Who
343 are the opportunistic customers draining your resources, and how can
344 you get rid of them w/out pissing everyone off?
345
346 These are exactly the things that Mark Shuttlework and Canonical have
347 answers for, which is one of the reasons Ubuntu are successful at what
348 they want to do.
349
350 _If_ you're looking at Ubuntu with envious eyes, my advice is that you
351 cross the floor and join them. There's no sense whatsoever in putting
352 Gentoo head-to-head with any of the other Linux distros, unless they
353 try to come after what we are good at.
354
355 > The goal?
356
357 The idea would be to devolve power to developers, so that folks who
358 are slackers / trolls / arseholes either have nowhere to go (and
359 therefore drop out by default), or at least are grouped together in
360 one tiny corner that the rest of us can ignore. Most disciplinary
361 matters get delt with locally, and swiftly. The ones that can't ...
362 well, they're exactly the ones where a trial by peers are appropriate.
363
364 The thing is, businesses have spent centuries looking for a magic
365 bullet for managing staff. They've tried everything they could think
366 of, from outright slavery at one extreme to worker co-operatives at
367 the other. If there was one true way to do it, there wouldn't be any
368 sort of debate about it. But all forms of government come down to the
369 same fundamental - it only works if folks buy into it.
370
371 Best regards,
372 Stu
375 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list