From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Require full $P not just $PN on stable/keyword commit messages
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 08:55:13
1 On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 19:59:35 +0000
2 Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
3
4 > Thoughts from outside peanut gallery?
5 >
6 > Michael / veremitz.
7
8 I have an alternative that might be more pleasant:
9
10 1. Change repoman so that when its clear that:
11 - There is at least one ebuild being changed
12 - There is only one ebuild being changed
13 Then the templated summary line is full ${P}
14
15 2. Otherwise, retain the current semantics of using a simpler
16 ${P} in other cases.
17
18 3. Make no *requirements* that ${P} be used instead of ${PN},
19 and that way people who think they have a good reason to use ${PN}
20 instead of ${P} can do just that (if for instance, they need to lop
21 off context so they can have a longer commit message )
22
23 This IMO improves things by default, given that the majority of changes
24 get run through repoman, and a majority of changes have very terse
25 requirements for extra data.
26
27 It also means that by default, when people just make the commit message
28 something silly like "bump", or "version bump", despite the fact they
29 didn't put in much effort, the log defaults to being useful, and the
30 commit messages relayed to #gentoo-commits improves in usefulness.
31
32 Partly, because for me, one of my prime vectors where I become aware
33 changes are occuring is in #gentoo commits, particularly because
34 something in there highlights me.
35
36 I don't want to *have* to:
37 - Resync my git repo
38 - Dig into git wizardry
39
40 *just* to ascertain what version was involved, and to then ascertain if
41 I need to investigate further.
42
43 ( Because once I've already synced and started using git wizardry, I'm
44 already starting to pay investigation taxes )