From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@××××××××.com>
To: Tom Payne <twp@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-sparc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ruby: depreciating 1.6.8 in favour of 1.8.0
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:33:37
1 On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Tom Payne wrote:
2
3 > The new stable version of Ruby, 1.8.0, was released a few days ago.
4 >
5 > I would like to update all of dev-ruby to use 1.8.0, and depreciate 1.6.8
6 > completely. Reasons for depreciating 1.6.8 are:
7 >
8 > 1) Forcing 1.6.8 users to upgrade may break their code.
9 >
10 > 2) Older 1.6.8 packages will no longer be supported.
11 >
12 > Comments? Complaints?
13 >
14 I've put it on one system to try it officially (I've been playing
15 with various release candidates for one particular application which
16 really wants the newer gc code). It builds and installs on sparc,
17 and runs simple tests. I'll start rebuilding packages over the next
18 few days on this system and let you know how it goes.
19
20 One comment:
21
22 The "You might have to re emerge vim" comment needs to be made very clear;
23 there doesn't seem to be any "maybe" about it (if you use vim+ruby),
24 because the rebuild of vim is required because of the libruby version
25 change.
26
27 Regards,
28 Ferris
31 > Unless there is a huge cry of "keep 1.6.8!" I will being the migration on
32 > Mon 18 Aug.
33 >
34 > Cheers,
35 >