From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New GLEP: file installation masks
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 15:12:20
1 On 05/20/2016 10:01 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Please review the specification provided. The basic goal is to provide
4 > an ability to use INSTALL_MASK alike USE flags -- with path groups that
5 > are well-defined and described in the repository.
6 >
7 > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:INSTALL_MASK
10 I like the idea. INSTALL_MASK is currently pretty flaky, and that's what
11 we tell people to use to block e.g. systemd units. Here's what I gather:
12
13 1. The INSTALL_MASK-like feature should support fnmatch() wildcards.
14
15 2. Binary packages are not be affected (there's another feature for
16 that)
17
18 3. We can define groups of paths to make certain things (bash
19 completions, locales, etc.) easy to mask.
20
21 All of those are good, but are the details of what actually goes in
22 INSTALL_MASK left up to the implementation? How would I mask all bash
23 completions (the bash-completion group) using INSTALL_MASK?
24
25 Can you make the spec say that we should be able to mask files whose
26 names contain spaces? Or is that implicit in the fnmatch() clause?
27
28 For the portage implementation, it may be time to ditch the variable and
29 move to something like /etc/portage/install.mask:
30
31 $ cat /etc/portage/install.mask
32 [bash-completion]
33 /etc/logrotate.d
34 read me.txt
35
36 With one pattern per line, the spaces thing is easy to deal with. But
37 this makes me wonder, how is portage supposed to know I want to block
38 the bash-completion group and not all files named "[bash-completion]"?