From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtuals in /etc/portage/package.use
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:32:30
1 On Monday 18 April 2005 16:47, Philipp Hasse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > is it true that entries starting with virtual won't work in
5 > /etc/portage/package.use?
6 > For example if I want to disable the doc use flag on the selected java
7 > distribution I would write: "virtual/jre -doc".
8 > What about adding this feature to portage?
9
10 Short answer? No.
11
12 Long answer? Here:
13
14 You're opening a can of worms there... What to do when virtual/jre and
15 dev-java/blackdown-jre are both specified but in conflict? What about if
16 dev-java/blackdown-jre is specified directly on the command line?
17
18 There would also be a big performance loss. For every package that is looked
19 at, portage would have to check if it provides any virtuals. After that every
20 one of the virtuals would have to be checked against package.use. It would
21 then have to check for and resolve any conflicts.
22
23 But of course, if package.use were to support this then package.mask,
24 package.unmask and package.keywords would have to support it as well. All in
25 all, a big loss for a small gain.
26
27 Regards,
28 Jason Stubbs