From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: ros-catkin.eclass, new USE_EXPAND: ROS_MESSAGES, new categories: dev-ros and ros-meta for review.
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:52:37
1 Hi,
2
3 > Hi Alexis.
4 >
5 > As a gentoo user, an ebuild hacker and engineer, I'd suggest you
6 > include a wiki page for gentoo users, to document the gentoo specific
7 > issues.
8
9 Yes, this is planned. That part would be short though. The real work is
10 done in upstream wiki :)
13 > I'm a big fan of the new gentoo wiki. Access to either a
14 > 'virtual robot', or where to purchase devices that use ROS, would at
15 > least greatly facilitate folks to participate with ROS robotics
16 > codes. Include links to the main ROS repos, and relevant other urls.
17 > For example; one of the common things missing in such projects is
18 > an example linux kernel, stripped to optimize only the size and
19 > performance of the ROS devices and software. Showing this
20 > kernel .config would be keen. At list discussion why some of the key
21 > kernel configs are select is sorely missing in the world of robotic
22 > and UAVs, imho.
23
24 For the kernel part, I don't think this would happen: It *really*
25 depends on your needs. For the record, I've been running this on desktop
26 computers and several arm boards (rpi, odroid, udoo for instance). For
27 the arm part, if you can live with mainline kernel (kernel.org) lacking
28 some drivers (or even doing the mainlining yourself), then good,
29 otherwise you'll be stuck with the bugs of old vendor kernels...
30
31 In the end, you can see this as an add-on to anything that you can run
32 gentoo on :)
33
34 For the links to tutorials, ROS wiki is very good, and this is what
35 happens to be in the HOMEPAGE field of the ebuilds. (use eix)
38 Finally, for UAVs, I've seen some projects using linux, but usually
39 a more dedicated realtime OS running on a microcontroller is used (some
40 are arduino based) and then controlled via serial port from ROS that
41 will handle the computing intensive part (SLAM, localization, sensor
42 fusing, etc.).
43
44 Alexis.
45