From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tester@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 18:32:24
1 On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 11:12:46AM -0700, Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > > Most ideas behind systemd are interesting, their current implementation
3 > > is sometimes completely wrong and given the experience with pulseaudio
4 > > we all know that they won't change even if you provide code for it.
5 >
6 > This is bullshit, if you have good reasoned arguments, Lennart is a very
7 > reasonable guy, but if you just say "your ideas are shit, you code is
8 > terrible", then yes, he'll just ignore you.
9
10 Sorry to call you on this one, but that is not the experience I had.
11
12 I proposed adding configure switches to their build system to accomodate
13 source base distros, such as gentoo, who at times want to use udev
14 without systemd. I even went out of the way to make sure that I didn't
15 change their default settings.
16
17 Look at a thread on their ml called minimal builds along with their wiki
18 page on minimal builds for Lennart's answer. He even went so far as to
19 say that our package managers are broken, and there was absolutely no
20 negotiating this point. We are wrong as far as he is concerned.
21
22 William
23
24 [1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/MinimalBuilds