From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:45:42
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 23:43:36 +0200
2 Justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 20.06.2012 22:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:25:30 -0400
5 > > Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Multilib (and/or multiarch) support
7 > >> The current binaries cause a great deal of pain,
8 > >> particularly when a user does not want to upgrade something. I had
9 > >> this problem with WINE and glibc because I wanted to avoid the
10 > >> reverse memcpy() fiasco on my systems. This situation would have
11 > >> been avoided entirely if the package manager supported multilib.
12 > >
13 > > This one's unlikely to happen unless someone's prepared to put in
14 > > the work.
15 >
16 > Tommy worked a lot on this and he asked for help to bring his
17 > proposal/spec/glep into shape.
18 > We are all aware what this is all about and know that anybody who is
19 > using multilib would benefit.
20 > Can't you simply work with him together to get it into what you expect
21 > it to be instead of pointing out that it isn't?
22
23 In order to do that, it would have to get to the stage where I
24 understood exactly what changes are needed and why. I'm not convinced
25 *anyone* understands that yet.
26
27 Writing PMS patches, at least to the level that we can review them, is
28 only difficult if you don't know what you want changed or why.
31 Ciaran McCreesh