From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:16:31
1 On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 00:02 +1000, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > 3. Create a whole new solution like USE="gui" (what happens if I have
3 > multiple gui implementation USE flags set?)
4
5 This is what I would suggest. It would remove 90% of the problem since
6 most applications use only one gui toolkit.
7
8 If no toolkit USE flags are set, go with the "best" (most stable, best
9 supported) toolkit.
10
11 If multiple flags are set - here you have a choice. The user-friendly
12 approach is to add some logic to find the "best" toolkit out of the
13 ones for which a flag is set (this gets complicated in the theoretical
14 case of three toolkits).
15
16 However, the user-friendly approach is completely unworkable when there
17 are reverse dependencies on your package (plugins for example) that
18 require a specific toolkit.
19
20 So a better choice might be REQUIRED_USE, *but* then you must adjust
21 package.use in all profiles to allow your package to be emerged without
22 forcing a user to manually set/unset flags.