From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribuited build
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:20:44
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sunday 09 June 2002 22:31, Marko Mikulicic wrote
5 > While I didn't test it yet, openmosix could be a solution for better
6 > utilization of your computing power. Parallel dependencies are sometimes
7 > difficult (cross dependencies), also it would require tweaks to emerge
10 Well, I delibertely left out openmosix because it is automatically
11 supported with make -j n. However there is a big issue with it:
12 Openmosix process migration can distribute the load of a single system
13 through a cluster but if you install n packages they are build in
14 sequence so that only compiles from a single build get eventually
15 distributed. And it's even worst when some packages have parallel build
16 disabled.
17 Moreover openmosix is not applicable in a etherogeneous network, whith
18 freebsd, linux, win32, tru64, linux-alpha machines, while distcc can
19 execute cross-compilers on every architecture (windows too).
20 and openmosix requires all to run a special kernel, administrative
21 issues,.... I think that something lighter is needed, for it to be
22 really useful. I have access to a LAN with 16 PIV 1.5Gh but with any
23 kindof linux distros, versions, libraries, users. The only
24 administrative power I have is to run niced jobs and a good amount of
25 ram.
26
27 However the problem is not openmosix vs. distcc, while both are
28 completely transparent with portage and both have the same problem:
29 sequential builds.
30
31 As for cross dependencies, how does portage handle the now? There could
32 a queue for each pending build where dependent build are added.
33 RDEPEND does not conflict with paralell builds.
34 I agree this would require tweaks to emerge. I think it's not
35 urgent in portage1, but it could go in portage2, which with it's added
36 performance could resolve this kind of dependence in acceptable time.
37 What do you think ?
38
39 Marko