From: Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to turn off hardened gcc flags reliably?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:21:16
1 On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 11:39 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 01 March 2006 10:35, Duncan Coutts wrote:
3 > > gcc-3 supports both -nopie and -fno-stack-protector. So always using
4 > > these would be ok if it were not for gcc-4 which doesn't grok
5 > > -fno-stack-protector.
6 >
7 > yes it does
8
9 Oh. I had reports from ppc devs who said that gcc-4 didn't recognise
10 that flag.
11
12 I also heard that gcc-4 contains a re-written stack protector
13 implementation with different semantics and that was why it didn't
14 recognise the flag anymore.
15
16 > every gcc in portage by default supports -fno-stack-protector
17
18 So that includes gcc 4 then. Well that makes life easier. :-)
19
20 I presume it's a gentoo patch to gcc-4 to add back in
21 -fno-stack-protector?
24 Duncan Coutts : Gentoo Developer (Haskell herd team lead)
25 email : dcoutts at gentoo dot org
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list