From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:56:19
1 On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Given that the retroactive change I suggest causes a lot of complexity;
4 > changing it on the next EAPI indeed sounds like one way to go, the
5 > alternative is to make it a suggestive guideline or policy and cover
6 > it as a QA check in repoman.
7 >
8 > That QA check could throw a warning when a dependency has no slot.
9
10 I think we're better off with defaulting to slot 0 rather than
11 erroring/warning if no slot is specified. Otherwise we're basically
12 going to have to modify every ebuild in the tree to add the :0 (unless
13 there is no warning when only slot 0 exists, but then another slot
14 could be added at any time and what is the behavior then?).
15
16 Or we could do both - we could define EAPI 6 as having :0 be the
17 default slot behavior, and we could have repoman offer soft warnings
18 on earlier EAPIs if there is no explicit slot.
19
20 (I'd even suggest making the default :0= except that there is no way
21 to override that as we defined not depending on a subslot as the
22 absence of any operator and not a different operator that is simply
23 defaulted.)
24
25 Rich