From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT/NIT] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:29:21
1 On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:46:14 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Alexis Ballier posted on Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:40:33 +0200 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > "Having functional changes mixed with whitespace/cosmetics in a
7 > > single commit makes it hard to read and understand."
8 > >
9 > >> Also, in this case I see only one extra hunk.
10 > >> But once we have proper tools (like git) we can revisit this.
11 > >
12 > > I don't see how git helps. You'll have to commit twice then push, vs
13 > > commit twice with cvs.
14 >
15 > But git commits are quite lightweight, while as someone already
16 > pointed out, cvs commits, if done properly with repoman, are anything
17 > but.
18 >
19 > So at least in the sense that it'll be less hassle, two git commits
20 > followed by a push should be much easier than two repoman and cvs
21 > commits.
24 Maybe the question is rather why `repoman` takes 15 seconds on a quite
25 fast system in a package folder that contains 2 ebuilds and 1 metadata.
26
27 See the call graph for repoman at http://i.imgur.com/OQTUBdR.png.
28
29 A third of the time, ~5 seconds, are spent on 60,000 - 70,000 calls to
30 the function that is listed in the bottom; but the ebuilds barely
31 list any dependencies. Why are there so much calls to this?
32
33 A third of the time, ~5 seconds, are spent on visibility; if we look at
34 the `emerge -puDN @world` call graph (http://i.imgur.com/A93CdNR.png)
35 we also see visibility checks taking a prominent enough place. If this
36 is part is really needed, we may look at how we can improve this and at
37 the same time improvement the dependency calculation and repoman times.
38
39 Last third of the time, ~5 seconds, are spent on regular expressions
40 and mostly configuration; why is configuration so invasive here?
41
42 My thoughts are that we may be able to shave ten seconds of this time.
45 With kind regards,
46
47 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
48 Gentoo Developer
49
50 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
51 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
52 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D