From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RE: Portage package security model...
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:14:50
1 On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 22:56, Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
2
3 > Maybe the developers are more busy with other things, but its never to early
4 > to think about security.
5
6 If this matter is important to you then please feel free to work on
7 adding such functionality to portage. I would like to see a prototype
8 of said system. :)
9
10 Just a tip though: any such system should be easy to use for the
11 developer and end user, and happen pretty much automatically for
12 developers. I'm personally not going to be very friendly towards any
13 system that requires me to do gnupg commands manually and worry about
14 keys every time I want to check in a package, etc. And only the most
15 paranoid users are going to go through the trouble of manually verifying
16 each package (meaning it wouldn't be used by most users).
17
18 It may sound lazy but considering upstream packages are not signed, most
19 developers don't even know each other in real life, and you are
20 implicitly trusting anyone who has the key and cvs access (any true
21 paranoid would see what I'm talking about). Unless the system is simple
22 and transparent for developers and end users its (disclaimer: in my view
23 and my view alone) a pain that gives people a false sense of security
24 about software they are downloading from the internet.
25
26 There is also the issue of keys... who holds them, etc. The signing of
27 packages could create political side effects and formalities. We have
28 quite a few developers with CVS access. This means we are going to be
29 sharing keys on multiple machines or have to go through a pain in the
30 arse every time we want to check a package in.
31
32 Such a system may force the solid formation of "teams" and encourage a
33 more unfriendly BSD-style core development model. As a gentoo developer
34 I like being able to work many different aspects of gentoo whenever I
35 feel like it. And if a find an annoying bug I wish to fix, I like being
36 able to fix it, rather then spending time asking whichever "team" is in
37 charge of said package and having to ask for permission or whatever.
38 (ok, I'm exagurating, but I've heard too many horror stories from the
39 history of the *BSDs)
40
41 If we decide to avoid a team based structure, then we are going to have
42 to worry about individual keys. Most packages, although sometimes
43 marked as having a maintainer, do not really have maintainers set in
44 stone. Most of the packages are freely modified by any developer who
45 has a real reason to make changes to said packages. Although there are
46 exceptions, portage does have maintainers due to its importance and the
47 fact its a gentoo creation (we are the upstream maintainers). Also if
48 you as a developer are aware that someone is working on a package or has
49 a pet project, its considered good etiquite to ask them first (chances
50 are they are already working on the issue anyways). So that means we
51 would either have to assign maintainers with keys to specific packages
52 and have changes cleared through them, or have the system check every
53 possible key against the package to see if the package has a valid
54 signature from 1 of 30 or so developers (I'm guessing about that
55 number).
56
57 Another alternative is a global key. One key shared among all
58 developers... IMHO, there isn't much point of signing after that... if
59 the key is leaked (accounts hacked, etc) we'd have to get in touch with
60 all developers, reissue keys, and resign all packages after verifying
61 them all.
62
63 Just my two cents on the issue, feel free to flame or just call me
64 paranoid, crazy, etc ;) Personally, I liked the open (more carefree?)
65 attitude towards the beginning of the project and I'd hate to see that
66 go away because of its increased popularity :)
70 Bruce A. Locke
71 blocke@××××××.org
72
73 "Those that would give up a necessary freedom for temporary
74 safety deserve neither freedom nor safety."
75 -- Ben Franklin