From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 00:24:08
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 02:58:02AM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/24/2011 02:40 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > >> This was just another episode of Vapier's hostile and arrogant behavior
4 > >> towards users. Every time someone comes up with a valid argument of why
5 > >> he's wrong, the final answer is "don't care, I do what I please because I'm
6 > >> the dev and you're not." So my reply was the politest I could come up with
7 > >> without using the f-word.
8
9 The problem with your justification here is the statement "he's
10 wrong"; that's opinion (and in this realm the dev frankly 9 times out
11 of 10 is more experienced in the pkg in question thus their opinion
12 carries greater weight). Treating your opinion as justification to be
13 an ass doesn't really fly, especially considering the stats I mention
14 below.
15
16 > > I'm curious what you think the final answer should be?
17 >
18 > Taking other people's input and concerns into account would be OK.
19 > Knowing when you're wrong is a useful thing. Right now, zlib does the
20 > exact opposite of what should be done; Vapier changed zlib, and tries to
21 > fix the packages that break because of that change. The correct way to
22 > handle it is to let zlib be, and fix the packages that stopped working
23 > with zlib 1.2.5.1.
24 >
25 > Why is that the correct way? Because we don't know yet what upstream is
26 > planning. We don't know if they'll rename those macros. If they won't,
27 > then Gentoo is creating problems for itself. Packages that won't build
28 > out of the box on Gentoo's zlib will need to be patched. And you can't
29 > go to upstream of those packages with that patch, because it's none of
30 > their business. They know their code works against vanilla zlib, they
31 > have no reason to change it. If Gentoo decides to break a base library
32 > by making it incompatible with the upstream version, it's their own fault.
33
34 "Incompatible with upstream version" ?
35
36 Quick bug count, 12 packages (most of which are doing bad things in
37 their header usage) went boom.
38
39 13 out of *608* packages. I reiterate, 6-!@#*ing-hundred-and-8. If
40 that 13 became 50 I'd be viewing this differently, but half the time
41 core pkg upgrades break that /alone/ (meaning upstream induced
42 breakage).
43
44 The packages are broken; while vapier is mildly ahead of the curve,
45 updating upstream is going in parallel.
46
47 I strongly suspect you've got the unstated 13th, or hit some fallout
48 thus why you're pushing on this as hard as you are. While that sucks
49 for you, you'd have hit the same breakage once upstream releases the
50 API change.
51
52 All vapier is doing is frankly fixing the offending packages (which
53 those patches then go upstream) so the upstream zlib change can be
54 made w/out any fallout.
55
56 By and large, this is good open source behaviour, and fits with the
57 gentoo "don't fuck with upstream's releases" philosophy (which is
58 aimed at avoiding the sort of hellacious backporting/monkey-patching
59 debian/fedora are known for).
60
61 Nothing to see here, pretty much.
62 ~brian