From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:36:19
1 On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:05:01 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Piotr JaroszyƄski wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > looks like every nominee wants the council to be more technical so I
8 > > have a few technical questions for you:
9 > >
10 > > 1. GLEP54
11 >
12 > Just for fun I took some of the ideas about alternative management of
13 > the issue and specified the features it makes it worth changing
14 > (better management and automated snapshot generation from the live
15 > ebuild).
16 >
17 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/glep/liveebuild.rst
18 >
19 > I'd like to see some comment on it (I put it in glep form just now so
20 > it isn't exactly perfect)
21
22 Ignoring possible semantic issues for the moment, I'd be against this
23 simply because it would require the PM to be aware of the current
24 revision of the repository and to transform it into a integer value
25 (trivial for SVN, not so trivial for CVS for example). Which in turn
26 either means that the PM has to internally support the SCMs or support
27 some new phase functions to extract the revision.
28 Plus it has similar (unstated) transition issues as GLEP-54, just avoids
29 a new comparison algorithm and the CPV vs. atom issue.
30
31 Marius
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list