From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: seemant@g.o
Cc: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system profiles, stackable profiles, virtuals, and dependencies
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:58:29
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:02, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > Hi Paul,
3 >
4 > Others can give you a better response -- but as for the virtual/logger
5 > and virtual/cron in system profiles, I think that would mess up the
6 > livecd and install stages, because they would then get bloated up.
10 > As far as cascading profiles are concerned -- we don't have any way to
11 > add custom stuffs to the profiles (yet?).
12
13 Sure we do..
14 User symlinks his/her make.profile to the right cascading profile in
15 ../../usr/portage/profiles/${profile_name} then fills his/her
16 /etc/portage/virtuals with all the fun files he/she wants to swapped out
17 for what the profiles/${profile_name}/arch/.. would provide.
18
19 This combined with a user supplied overlay can be quite powerful for
20 rapid deployment and allow for alot of custom build scenarios.
21
22 > It might be on the roadmap
23 > for some future date, though. The immediate goal for cascading profiles
24 > was really to de-bloat /usr/portage/profiles. I'd suggest filing a bug
25 > to dev-portage@gentoo for the custom support though.
30 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
31 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer