From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The tree is now utf-8 clean
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:44:23
1 The tree is now utf-8 clean. Or it is to the extent that a computer can
2 reasonably determine... If the relevant people are prepared to smack
3 anyone who refuses to play nice then now would be a good time to
4 unwithdraw GLEP 31, make compliance mandatory and add glep31check [1] to
5 repoman or server-side.
6
7 There are still a few instances of munged character sequences that
8 happen to also be valid UTF-8. If you come across one, feel free to fix
9 it.
10
11 If you have weird characters in your name, please make especially sure
12 that you're getting your ChangeLog name right. These are far more common
13 than occasional user credit ChangeLog entries. Also, if your name on the
14 devlist [2] isn't accented, pester someone to update it.
15
16 Something strange I noticed... Some people are using funny quotes and
17 non breaking spaces in ebuilds. Some people are using weird characters
18 as substitution delimiters for sed. Don't! It will break on many
19 systems. I'm going to go and purge all of those, UTF-8 or not, whenever
20 my brain recovers.
21
22 As far as editor support... On those really rare occasions when you need
23 to enter UTF-8 text in ebuilds, vim, emacs and nano should all more or
24 less work. For ChangeLogs, echangelog is utf-8 transparent, meaning if
25 you run it from a UTF-8 terminal it should be ok. We have a guide [3] if
26 you want to know more...
27
28 [1]: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/toys/glep31check-0.3.3.tar.bz2
29 [2]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml
30 [3]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
33 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
34 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
35 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm