From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for co-maintainers for number of packages
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 04:30:30
1 On Sun, Jul 03, 2022 at 09:03:04PM -0700, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
2 > I've been rather busy lately and can't keep up with all of my packages.
3 > There are pending bumps, some bugs, but nothing too crazy or hard.
4 > So I'm looking for someone to co-maintain (or even take over if you
5 > insist) the following packages:
6 >
7 > * net-mail/notmuch
8 > pseudo-autoconf NIH build system that can be PITA to work with,
9 > responsive upstream. High profile package.
10 > proxied maintainer in metadata has not been active lately and probably
11 > should be dropped.
12 >
13 > * net-irc/weechat
14 > Regular but not very frequent releases, responsive upstream, cmake,
15 > pretty sane and very popular.
16 >
17 > * dev-cpp/abseil-cpp
18 > Googleware, it's usually bundled into source, like gnulib, but some
19 > projects use system copy.
20 > Hardcoded flags, broken abi every other bump, may require slotting in
21 > the future, some revdeps rely on older versions. Not hard to maintain,
22 > but has more that usual blast radius.
23 >
24 > * net-libs/grpc
25 > * dev-python/grpcio
26 > * dev-python/grpcio-tools
27 > * dev-python/grpcio-testing
28 > grpc stack, googleware again. rather frequent releases, lack of
29 > portage-able tests, as tests insist on downloading gtest stack git
30 > master in src_test phase.
31 > Technically it's already co-maintained, but I't be beneficial if we
32 > have more hands and eyes on this one.
33 > python project has been helping with python packages, but lack of tests
34 > makes the package somewhat risky.
35 > bonus points if you can test it with tensorflow.
36 >
37 > * dev-util/bear
38 > Responsive upstream. Tests work but require disabling sandboxing (check
39 > ebuild on how to run it). Not too hard, pretty popular.
40 >
41 > * app-arch/dpkg
42 > debian upstream, easy to maintain. just need extra eyeballs.
43 >
44 > * app-shells/fish
45 > Responsive upstream, not very frequent releases, cmake. Requires some
46 > attention on non-x86 as arch bugs are rather frequent. But nothing too
47 > crazy.
48 >
49 > * sys-process/glances
50 > Responsive upstream, easy package. Just need extra pair of eyes/hands.
51
52 Joined you here!
53
54 > * dev-util/google-perftools
55 > Another google package, very arch-specific, big blast radius if broken.
56 > Not hard to maintain, but need to be extra careful with revdeps,
57 > requires alt-arch testing.
58 >
59 > * app-admin/sysstat
60 > pretty easy but important package. I will also offer base-system to
61 > take it, as it's kinda important one.
62 >
63 > * app-admin/tmpreaper
64 > debian upstream, easy.
65 >
66 > * x11-misc/xwallpaper
67 > sane upstream, easy package. just need extra hands. probably most
68 > secure wallpaper setter out there ;-)
71 > Thanks, Georgy.
72 >
73 > PS. Huge bonus if you can test packages not only on x86_64.
74 > Ofc I can help with some gotchas in packages and have no plans on
75 > abandoning those completely, but realistically I'm not doing enough to
76 > keep those properly maintained at the moment.