From: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Base system requirements
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:23:00
2 Hash: SHA1
5 > Heres a rough list to begin with:
6 >
7 > Known stable kernel
8 > One Bourne compatible shell
9 > libc (glibc/dietlibc/uclibc/...., glibc preferred)
10 > Anything that supports connecting to a network (dhcpcd, route, ifconfig,
11 > pppoe, pppd).
12
13 Not everyone wants or needs all of those ways of connecting to a network.
14 For some people having ifconfig is ample.
15
16 If a user needs or wants more, then they should know it and then install
17 it. If a user doesn't know what is needed to connect their system to a
18 network then perhaps they should investigate a different distribution (RH,
19 MDK?), or do some reading.
20
21 > Python (for emerge)
22 > ssh
23 > rsync
24
25 > cvs
26
27 Not really required unless you are going to be installing cvs-based
28 ebuilds, in which case it should be a dep on those ebuilds or in the
29 cvs-eclass
30
31 ie: those that need it will (or should) know and will install it.
32
33 > filesystem utils
34 > package utils (tar, bzip2, gzip, md5sum, gpg)
35
36 > manuals (man/info pages)
37
38 Perhaps a new USE flag for man and info pages could be created so that
39 those who are uber leet can set it to -manpages and then have none of it
40 installed.
41
42 > Enabled by default, but optionally rejectable:
43
44 Preferablly not enabled at all, but this is, of course, my NSHO.
45
46 > C/C++ compiler
47
48 Given this is Gentoo and it is a "Source based meta-distribution" then a
49 compiler is entirely appropriate.
50
51 > Perl
52
53 I think perl is used by too many things to have it removed. For those
54 that want to make a minimal install then they should be creating a custom
55 profile and have the knowledge to do so.
56
57 > sshd
58
59 Now having sshd as part of the base system is good. I imagine that not
60 having sshd installed by default would result in a large number of
61 questions on #gentoo, particularly as it is available on the livecds. (and
62 isn't it part of openssh anyway, that gives us the ssh client?)
63
64 > One MTA (Postfix preferred/Exim as a second choice for the default MTA).
65
66 The only mta installed on any of my desktop machines is ssmtp and it is
67 configured to forward all mail on those machines to a specific user on my
68 central server. I don't want a weighty mta on those machines. All my
69 mua's communicate directly with a central smtp, that way I only have to
70 administer one.
71
72 > a browser (lynx/links)
73
74 I know it's handy, but not really required.
75
76 > uuencode/uudecode
77
78 Not sure why you'd want these. I am yet to use either of these directly
79 (though I may have used them indirectly through another application).
80
81 > Devdas Bhagat
84 I think having the Base System as minimalistic as possible, whilst keeping
85 sane and sensible defaults is a must. Installing everything and the
86 kitchen sync that a user may require does not lead to:
87 "Gentoo Linux can become ... -- whatever you need it to be"
88
89 I don't want to sound elitist or exclude new users from attempting to use
90 Gentoo (and I'm more than willing to help people on #gentoo, as long as
91 they are willing to help themselves a little too), however I do feel that
92 a certain level of knowledge, or linux experience is required to use
93 Gentoo.
94
95 Gentoo linux can be a huge learning experience for someone with little or
96 know linux knowledge, it can extremely liberating for someone who has used
97 other distributions because as a user you have to do so much for
98 *yourself*.
99
100 Sorry if this is too much of a rant, I just get annoyed when people want
101 to remove or diminish the great flexibility that an initial Gentoo install
102 gives a user, purely to make it "easier" or more "newbie friendly".
103
104 - --
105 Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
106