From: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FORK: The Time Is Now
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:09:00
1 Fellow Gentooers,
2
3 I am proud to announce that The Zynot Foundation was registered today
4 as a 501.c.3 member controlled, non-profit organization in the state of
5 Oregon. This new entity is being established to hold a fork of the
6 Gentoo Linux distribution, targeting embedded and enterprise users and
7 developers. We will be establishing a new development culture suitable
8 for creating a reliable, validated, and production-ready distribution -
9 initially using the Gentoo technology we all have come to know and love.
10
11 While I am currently leading this effort, I have already attracted a
12 number of others willing to help me guide this project through its
13 initial growing pains. In the next couple of months, I expect this
14 project to evolve as truly community run organization, and we will be
15 drafting the foundation's bylaws out in the open, accepting input from
16 the community thoughout the entire process.
17
18 I humbly submit that every present or future Gentoo user, developer,
19 client, or investor should read my paper at the following URL. In great
20 detail, it describes the events that drove me to this current state of
21 affairs, the reasoning behind the fork (along with a section covering
22 the most current events), along with a brief glimpse at the choices this
23 fork will be offering the community that grows around it:
24
25 http://www.zynot.org/info/fork.html
26
27 and the following links has some initial questions answered about the
28 future and other ideas:
29
30 http://www.zynot.org/info/faq.html
31
32 We are working to establish parallel infrastructure at Oregon State
33 University; however, my resources have been heavily invested in the
34 Gentoo project, both material and finacially, and many of the details of
35 those investments are documented in the above paper. My attornys have
36 sent a letter to Mr. Robbins requesting these investments be returned.
37
38 For those that would speculate about the timing of this announcement, my
39 paper presents facts that suggest the recent re-organization post by
40 Daniel Robbins was a pre-emptive and unsuccessful attempt to
41 short-circuit this fork. Consider that fact along with the remaining
42 evidence presented in my paper as you read the inevitable damage and
43 spin control that follows this post.
44
45 I would like to invite Daniel Robbins to meet me at LinuxWorld
46 Expo, 2003, for a head-to-head public debate about the issues
47 surrounding this fork. The Zynot Foundation has registered booth #5
48 in the .org pavillion, and we are looking forward to talking with
49 everyone then and there. In the meantime, come join us on IRC in #zynot
50 or #zynot-dev on irc.freenode.net where there is sure to be lively
51 discussion.
52
53 Finally, I would like to thank all of the users and developers that have
54 made Gentoo a wonderful technology, and I look forward to being able to
55 give something substantial back to the community with this new
56 distribution. Thank you for the memories.
57
58 Sincerely,
59
60 Zachary T Welch