From: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FORK: The Time Is Now
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:09:00
Fellow Gentooers,

I am proud to announce that The Zynot Foundation was registered today
as a 501.c.3 member controlled, non-profit organization in the state of
Oregon.  This new entity is being established to hold a fork of the
Gentoo Linux distribution, targeting embedded and enterprise users and
developers.  We will be establishing a new development culture suitable
for creating a reliable, validated, and production-ready distribution -
initially using the Gentoo technology we all have come to know and love.

While I am currently leading this effort, I have already attracted a
number of others willing to help me guide this project through its
initial growing pains.  In the next couple of months, I expect this
project to evolve as truly community run organization, and we will be
drafting the foundation's bylaws out in the open, accepting input from
the community thoughout the entire process.

I humbly submit that every present or future Gentoo user, developer,
client, or investor should read my paper at the following URL.  In great
detail, it describes the events that drove me to this current state of
affairs, the reasoning behind the fork (along with a section covering
the most current events), along with a brief glimpse at the choices this
fork will be offering the community that grows around it:

http://www.zynot.org/info/fork.html

and the following links has some initial questions answered about the
future and other ideas:

http://www.zynot.org/info/faq.html

We are working to establish parallel infrastructure at Oregon State
University; however, my resources have been heavily invested in the
Gentoo project, both material and finacially, and many of the details of
those investments are documented in the above paper.  My attornys have
sent a letter to Mr. Robbins requesting these investments be returned.

For those that would speculate about the timing of this announcement, my
paper presents facts that suggest the recent re-organization post by
Daniel Robbins was a pre-emptive and unsuccessful attempt to
short-circuit this fork.  Consider that fact along with the remaining
evidence presented in my paper as you read the inevitable damage and
spin control that follows this post.

I would like to invite Daniel Robbins to meet me at LinuxWorld
Expo, 2003, for a head-to-head public debate about the issues
surrounding this fork.  The Zynot Foundation has registered booth #5
in the .org pavillion, and we are looking forward to talking with
everyone then and there.  In the meantime, come join us on IRC in #zynot
or #zynot-dev on irc.freenode.net where there is sure to be lively
discussion.

Finally, I would like to thank all of the users and developers that have
made Gentoo a wonderful technology, and I look forward to being able to
give something substantial back to the community with this new
distribution.  Thank you for the memories.

Sincerely,

Zachary T Welch
Managing Member
Superlucidity Services