From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Problem writing my first ebuild
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:05:33
1 On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:35:21 -0400
2 "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
5 > > I'm trying to write an ebuild for "xawdecode", a TV program based on
6 > > "xawtv". I've based on xawtv-3.7.2.ebuild, but I have a problem: a few
7 > > files, some fonts to go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, are shared by
8 > > this two program, so I can't emerge my application because of a sandbox
9 > > write lock. How are we supposed to deal with this kind of
10 > > incompatibility ? I've though about patching the Makefile to place the
11 > > font somewhere else, but I don't feel it really satisfying.
12 >
13 > You are missing a very important point. Your ebuild should not be writing
14 > *anything* to the live filesystem. Everything goes in ${D}
15 > (/var/tmp/portage/<pkg-name>/image/). Have you looked at other ebuilds?
16 > In particular, you should look at some examples of dodir and doins.
19 Ok, I start to understand... I've got something like this, middle-clicked from the original xawtv ebuild:
20
21 [...]
22 src_install() {
23 fontdir=${D}/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
24 make install \
25 prefix=${D}/usr \
26 mandir=${D}/usr/share/man \
27 resdir=${D}/etc/X11 \
28 fontdir=$fontdir || die
29 [...]
30
31 But $fontdir is probably not used in xawdecode Makefiles as it is in xawtv ones. Sorry about this, I think I need to give a closer look to several things before writing things I don't understand.
32 No TV tonight ;)
33
34 Thanks for your help,
35