From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:25:13
1 Hi all,
2
3 Perhaps the oldest request of Gentoo KDE is to have individual ebuilds for all
4 KDE apps - konqueror, kmail etc. Most people will probably never use over
5 half the stuff 'emerge kde' installs, and it's hardly Gentooish to force it
6 on them.
7
8 I've spent the last few years pointing out to various people why this couldn't
9 be done (well). Eventually I got really tired, so we did it.
10
11 So without further ado, I point you to http://kde-metaebuilds.berlios.de/ and
12 the more detailed explanations there. Brought to you by Simone Gotti
13 <motaboy@g.o> and yours truly.
14
15 *** Current status: early beta. Works For Us (tm). DO NOT send bugreports to
16 *.gentoo.org - join the mailing list at berlios.de. ***
17
18 ---
19
20 For everyone who's still reading...
21
22 You probably remember me saying this wouldn't be done because an 'emerge
23 kde-meta' would take a few hours longer than a classic 'emerge kde'. This is
24 true. So I refer you to http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/ where you'll find
25 the experimental confcache patch to portage, which virtually eliminates the
26 overhead of running configure for every tiny ebuild.
27
28 However, while the ebuilds are in early beta, confcache is in late alpha. A
29 few known (non-dangerous) problems exist. So if you use it, be sure of what
30 you're doing. I'd also like to ask anyone and everyone to help make confcache
31 better...
32
33 I release when ready. And what this's ready for is a lot of testing, rather
34 than a lot of production use :-) But there are no known issues (with the
35 ebuilds), so please go ahead and use them.
36
37 Eventually, esp. if and when confcache goes stable and is added to portage,
38 these ebuilds can make their way into portage also.
41 Dan Armak
42 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
43 Matan, Israel
44 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
45 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951