From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 17:40:06
1 On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/21/2015 08:50 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, hasufell wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Like allowing that devs may or may not use games.eclass, so that
6 >>> users cannot expect consistent behavior for games anymore?
7 >>
8 >> Sorry, but that is not accurate. Usage of games.eclass has been
9 >> deprecated by QA [1] (with the council's mandate [2]), so devs should
10 >> not use it any longer.
11 >>
12 >> Maybe QA should be stricter in enforcing its policies, in order to
13 >> avoid such false impressions in future?
14 >>
15 >> Ulrich
16 >>
17 >> [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Meeting_Summaries#Games_team_policies_issue
18 >> [2] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20140812-summary.txt
22 > May I remind you that
23 >
24 > """
25 > - Motion: "The council encourages the games team to accept join
26 > requests and elect a lead. In the event they don't elect a lead
27 > within 6 weeks, we will consider the team as dysfunctional and thus
28 > disband it."
29 > Accepted with 6 yes votes and 1 abstention.
30 > """
31 >
32 > has never happened? There has been no vote, but the team has not been
33 > considered dysfunctional. Instead we are just acting like it doesn't
34 > exist, more or less. Sounds good?
35
36 Well, we did say we would disband it. We just didn't follow through.
37 Would you be happier if we did disband it?
38
39 The goal was to try to leave the structure there in case anybody steps
40 up, but I don't really see the harm in acting as if the team doesn't
41 exist. It essentially doesn't. Disbanding it would just make it
42 formal.
43
44 Sure, we did drop this, but I don't really see this line of argument
45 actually accomplishing anything productive. Creating a games team
46 that fixes these issues would be productive. Letting others fix them
47 is also productive. Nobody is opposed to having a games project - it
48 just seems like nobody cares enough to actually make it happen.
49 That's ok - we can still get things done.
52 Rich