From: Taras Glek <taras.glek@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] feature request for X ebuild
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:50:25
1 Hi,
2 X has several drivers that are not perfect and some just dont work on stuff
3 like my laptop. However there are third party projects that come up with
4 superior drivers and for some reason release them outside the tree. In
5 particual the gatos ati drivers and the savage drivers are what I'm interested
6 in.
7 Could you added an option to the X ebuild, something like USE="gatos" or
8 USA=savage so it downloads and compiles with alternate drivers.
9
10 http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html <--savage driver
11 http://www.linuxvideo.org/gatos/ <-- i belive the updated ati driver lives
12 there...the url isnt working for me at the moment
15 Currently I have a laptop with a savage chipset that simply doesnt work with
16 the defualt X so I'm stuff in mandrake until I compile gentoo with the savage
17 driver.. The updated ati driver adds stuff like Xv support and possibly other
18 things, its a must for being able to view videos on ati mobility cards.
21 Taras,
22 Hope the above makes sense..and this laptop gets hot when compiling gentoo :)