From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ferdy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:25:30
1 "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o> said:
2 > On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:42:40PM -0700, Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 > > cogito
4 > > - Not practical
5 > > * the lots of little files doesn't scale well with the size
6 > > of the portage tree
7 >
8 > Sure, that's why they invented git repack.
9 >
10 > > * In addition, git only allows checkins from the project parent.
11 > > A deal breaker in my opinion
12 >
13 > That's not true at all. Not in any sane Git version.
14
15 Ferdy:
16
17 What I meant is, if you have a change within one directory pending
18 a commit, and you have a commit pending in a current directory, both
19 files will be picked up for the commit. I think that is bad. That
20 means you can't have pending changes not ready for commit and commit
21 something.
22
23 yes. git-commit will allow the commit, it will walk the directories
24 backwards, but it will find all the pending changes and want to commit
25 them.
26
27 I don't think that is beneficial. I'm open to comments though.
28
29 -ryan