From: monkey <monkey@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Overriding the sandbox, or ...
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:46:26
1 ... how can I get something installed in /usr/sbin? This will probably
2 open up a can of worms, but here I go. I want to change the ebuild for
3 iptables-1.2.6a to install with the prefix "/usr". Why, well I feel that
4 it is more FHS-compliant since the reasoning in the ebuild states that
5 things were moved back to /sbin and /lib to help people with netmounted
6 /usr systems get things working properly. I take exception to that on two
7 points: one, iptables is firewalling code and nothing more, and two, no
8 firewall should have netmounted systems. The FHS recommends keeping / as
9 free of things as possible. Only applications needed to repair filesystems
10 and get simple communication going are recommended for install in /. Since
11 no firewall should have any netmounted filesystems, I don't see the
12 validity in the argument for moving everything into /sbin and /lib.
13 However, changing the ebuild to fix this results in a "sandbox violation"
14 and the emerge fails. So, how can I bypass the sandbox for my iptables
15 install? This is not a swipe at the maintainer, I just have a different
16 opinion of where I want my userspace firewall code to live. Thanks for any
17 pointers.
18
19 geoffrey
20 --