From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-build
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:33:09
1 On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:57:23PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 > >
3 > > # the i486, i586 and i686 build packages contain gcc and binutils
4 > > # compiled for their respective targets... question, is this necessary
5 > > # since you can access these sub-architectures with compile-time switches.
6 > > # this just changes the name of /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu, or
7 > > # are there more extensive changes besides this? How about binutils?
8 > > # If there are no differences in generated code, we can have a single
9 > > # build.tbz2 instead of three.
10
11 > Hmm, maybe we can use i486 as build-host and make cross-compilers/binutils
12 > for all other targets. But I prefere a solution without crocc-compilers that
13 > works without tricks.
14
15 When you say "all other targets", are you talking about
16 i386,486,pentium,pentiumpro and K6? If so, a basic i486 build.tbz2 will work.
17 If the user sets the CHOST in /etc/make.conf to i686-pc-linux-gnu before
18 building the system, then the system should compile an i686 gcc and i686
19 binutils, correct? I don't think you'd need a cross-compiler, would you?
20 We're not talking about different architectures here -- just different CPU
21 variations.
22
23 > > Again, why are these static? I'm guessing so that you don't need to include
24 > > certain libraries?
25
26 > Because I want to use this set of packages for porting and for building
27 > gentoo on other linux-distros. And this is the simplest way
28
29 OK; I guess dynamic libraries could cause some problems on some other distros.
30 Though I haven't had problems chrooting to a location with shared libraries before,
31 even if I'm switching between two libc's.
34 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
35 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
36 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.