From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 01:37:14
1 On 19 March 2012 14:12, Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > As for non-bash ebuilds, I have always agreed with antarus that they should
4 > simply use a different extension. Adding a new extension per source language
5 > is a *lot* cleaner than one per EAPI.
6
7 Ok: If we take this notion and enshrine it in stone:
8
9 If we assume Bash 4 is a seperate language from Bash 3, as its
10 syntax-backwards-incompatible, is it fair to suggest that for some
11 future EAPI which require Bash 4, that the extension change to suit?
12
13 ie: move from .ebuild to .ebuild4 , where '.ebuild' conveys the
14 format is bash, and that '.ebuild4' is bash4 only?
15
16 That way you have a forwards declaration of the syntax/file format
17 required to parse the file, but no declaration of the EAPI, so you're
18 not breaking encapsulation.
19
20 This is breaking the direct file==eapi connection, but still
21 maintaining a loose file<->eapi connection.
22
23 Its /sort/ of like the "one time extension change" proposal, except
24 its less 'arbitrary' than something like .eb , and it gives us the
25 future option of changing the suffix again if bash 5 comes out with
26 different syntax.
27
28 Then we can do
29