From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in eclass: gnat.eclass
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:15:36
1 On Thursday 27 September 2007, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > Thursday, 27. September 2007, Mike Frysinger Ви написали:
3 > > i think more to the point, ebuilds/eclasses should never be calling
4 > > `exit`
5 > >
6 > > if you want to "return an empty string", then you do `return`
7 >
8 > Ok, sorry, will fix.
9 > Any pointers to some description of where each should be used?
10
11 how about:
12 exit should be used: never
13 ;)
14
15 > Is this about "the shell closing itself"?
16
17 it's about people in the past incorrectly used `exit` instead of `die` so we'd
18 prefer exit not leak back in so that new people dont inadvertently get the
19 same idea
20
21 > They both seem to have exactly the same effect in this code..
22
23 i imagine the way you're using it, that is true (subshelling for output /
24 piping), but considering the above, we'd really ask you go with return
25 -mike