From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 15:07:25
1 On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 09:04:07PM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 08:50:29PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 15:25:10 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > Hello,
5 > > >
6 > > > The QA team would like to introduce the following policy:
7 > > >
8 > > > """
9 > > > Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags (e.g.
10 > > > USE=man or USE=doc). If upstream does not ship prebuilt manpages
11 > > > and building them requires additional dependencies, the maintainer
12 > > > should build them and ship along with the package.
13 > > > """
14 > > >
15 > > >
16 > > > Explanatory note:
17 > > >
18 > > > This applies to having USE flags that specifically control building
19 > > > manpages. It obviously does not affect:
20 > > >
21 > > > a. USE flags that disable building both a program and its manpage (e.g.
22 > > > if USE=gui disables building gfrobnicate, not installing gfrobnicate(1)
23 > > > is correct),
24 > > >
25 > > > b. use of LINGUAS to control installed manpages.
26 > > >
27 > > >
28 > > > Rationale:
29 > > >
30 > > > Manpages are the basic form of user documentation on Gentoo Linux. Not
31 > > > installing them is harmful to our users. On the other hand, requiring
32 > > > additional dependencies is inconvenient. Therefore, packaging prebuilt
33 > > > manpages (whenever upstream doesn't do that already) is a good
34 > > > compromise that provides user with documentation without additional
35 > > > dependencies.
36 > > >
37 > > >
38 > > > What are your comments?
39 > >
40 > > The basic foundation of Gentoo is freedom of choise for our users.
41 > > If installing man pages means no additional dependencies, than
42 > > proposed rule is ok. However if such dependencies are required it is
43 > > up to users to decide if they wan them or not.
44 > >
45 > > Having USE=man (or USE=doc) for such purposes is fine. Having
46 > > USE=man enabled by default in user profile is also fine. Forcing
47 > > users to install unnecessary dependencies on minimal systems in a
48 > > no go and turns Gentoo into something else.
49 > >
50 > > Best regards,
51 > > Andrew Savchenko
52 >
53 > I am going to divert topics here... "freedom"... like freedom to post on a
54 > mailing list without restriction (e.g. whitelisting) ?
55 >
56 > --
57 > Cheers,
58 > Aaron
59
60 All, my response above was reported to COMREL as "Pure troll/provocation
61 off-topic on gentoo-dev"
62
63 My intent here was to challenge bircoph's apparent contradictions of "freedom"
64 of choice and "freedom" of posting on mailing lists.
65
66 I apologize for appearing to troll/provoke anyone.
69 Cheers,
70 Aaron