From: orbea <orbea@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA PG 0305 (manpages must always be installed) discussion
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 14:14:05
1 Protecting users from themselves can be a misfeature. Its better to
2 educate and then let them freely choose than to play as their nanny.
3
4 On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 19:25:22 +0200
5 Cedric Sodhi <ManDay@××××××××.cc> wrote:
6
7 > On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 11:33:20AM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
8 > > On Thu, 2023-01-19 at 13:25 +0200, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
9 > > > In this case, the expectation to compile manpages does not come
10 > > > free of cost and protects noone. By the above formulation, the
11 > > > cost "should" not come in the form of additional (heavy!
12 > > > dev-python/sphinx and deps are 75M) dependencies, but instead in
13 > > > the form of additional work for the maintainer. One way to annoy
14 > > > less-enthusiastic (proxy-) maintainers, in my opinion.
15 > >
16 > > I think "protects noone" is overstating it. If your network is
17 > > broken, the man pages might be your only troubleshooting resource.
18 > > It would suck to find that (say) net-wireless/iwd introduced a new
19 > > USE=man flag a few weeks ago and now you can't get connected to
20 > > some weird conference wifi and are unable to google for help.
21 >
22 > Fair enough, "protects noone" was not perfectly correct.
23 >
24 > But is the improbable combination of
25 >
26 > P( the user should have been protected ) =
27 > P( user accidentally/mistakenly specifies USE=-man )
28 > × P( the manpage's availability circularly depends on itself )
29 > × P( the user has no other access to the manpage )
30 > × P( the maintainer did not recognize the sitation and disabled
31 > "man" ) × P( the user ends up in that situation )
32 > × P( the user is a reasonable user who deserves to be protected (!) )
33 >
34 > really worth generalizing it as a "ALL packages MUST NEVER … ! "?
35 >
36 > I think a far more agreeable approach which does justice to
37 >
38 > The likelihood of the case that forcing manpages actually saves
39 > someone AND The likelihood of the case that it causes problems (by
40 > dependencies for the user, or by additional work for the maintainer)
41 >
42 > is to remind maintainers of it, but live-and-let-live, i.e. let
43 > maintainers do their job without imposing a policy. I wouldn't know
44 > of anyone who would have had a problem with this in the past and I
45 > don't think anyone will exclaim "Gosh, if just we have had a
46 > policy...!" in the future.