From: Max Magorsch <arzano@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: pgo - a command line interface for packages.g.o
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 12:38:29
1 Hi all,
2
3 The tl;dr is that I'm glad to announce pgo[0] - a command-line
4 interface for packages.gentoo.org and I'm looking for your feedback
5 here.
6
7 Some more information: Some time ago I announced the new packages.g.o
8 GraphQL API. Now, pgo is using this API to display information about
9 packages like versions, metadata, dependencies, QA reports, pull
10 requests, bugs and the changelog on the command line. It will also be
11 able to display information for maintainers, as a list of packages
12 they are maintaining, a list of outdated packages, or bugs related to
13 the packages they are maintaining. Further functionality might be
14 added over time.
15
16 We do already have a bunch of tools which do display package
17 information on the command line. Furthermore, these tools do have the
18 advantage that they work locally. However, the reason I still came up
19 with pgo is that pgo can now display information (such as bugs, pull
20 requests, qa-reports or information for maintainers) that other tools
21 cannot display and bundle these information in one central tool.
22 That's why I'm looking forward to your feedback here: Do you think
23 this is something you would be interested in? Do you have any features
24 you like to see included in this case?
25
26 pgo is packaged as app-portage/pgo (you might prefer the live version
27 as it might still change quickly currently) so that you can give it a
28 try. You might for instance try
29
30 $ pgo xmona
31
32 to show the package information for x11-wm/xmonad. Or try
33
34 $ pgo -s xmona
35
36 to search for packages. Or e.g.
37
38 $ pgo -bp grub
39
40 to show all bugs and pull requests for sys-boot/grub. However, to be
41 clear: Currently, it's still in a kind of "Proof of concept" stage. So
42 don't expect it to be fully useful right now.
43
44 So please let me know if you think it's worth spending more time on
45 this. I'm looking forward to your feedback.
46
47 -M
48
49 [0] https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-portage/pgo