From: Alexander Plank <alexander@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gento-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:29:46

I would like to create a GLEP for the implementation of an official
section of gentoo.org for blogs. Projects such as mozilla have had
great success with this. http://weblogs.mozillazine.org (I like to Read
Asa's blog)

Fans of the mozilla project read these developer's blogs with great
interest and frequency. In addition, it helps to garner interest in the
project and the blog's comment feature (where users can respond to
developers and developers can respond to users) makes users have a more
interactive role in the project. Mozilla fanatics (such as myself and
other people I know) frequently find a wealth of interesting material
in these developer's blogs and they email interesting posts to their
friends, some of whom would never otherwise have heard of mozilla.
These blog subjects aren't always about mozilla, which makes them even
more interesting. I found Asa's blog interesting during the mars rover
project because he created transcripts of the NASA press conferences,
for example.

This would be a great mechanism for getting people more interested in
the Gentoo project. In addition, it would give developers a way to send
messages to the community and help users get more aquatinted with
developer's personality, which, in turn, would foster an even stronger
sense of community between users and developers.

Before I create the GLEP, i'd like to see what users and developers
think about this blog idea. Because I want to get both the developers'
and users' opinion, I'm sending this message to both gentoo-dev and
gentoo-user. I hope you guys feel as enthusiastic about this as I do.

alexander@g.o