From: "Utpal M. Dholakia" <dholakia@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Request for help
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:55:45
1 Dear webmaster or moderator of gentoo.org:
2
3 I am a faculty member in the Jones school of management at Rice University
4 in Houston, Texas, USA (this may be verified using a Google search with
5 "Paul
6 Dholakia", or "Utpal Dholakia"). We are conducting an academic research
7 project, studying social interactions online more generally, and
8 specifically how communities organized around products or brands are
9 formed, from a sociological perspective.
10
11 In this regard, we are conducting a survey of people who belong to
12 internet-based LINUX groups such as mailing lists, websites etc. seeking
13 information on different elements of their thoughts, feelings, and
14 motivations of participating in such groups, and the value of the group to
15 them...
16
17 Our survey is available on the web at the following URL:
18
19 http://www.surveypro.com/cgi-bin/surveypro/run_survey.cgi?id=2444
20
21 Please note that the survey is targeted especially at those individuals
22 who interact with the more-or-less same group of individuals online within
23 the mailing list (as in your case) or on some other online forum (more
24 generally), that is, those who have online friends that they interact with
25 regularly.
26
27 I was writing to seek your help in publicizing our research, among your
28 community and constituents (participants and contributors to gentoo.org)
29 in an appropriate and minimally intrusive fashion ---perhaps posting a
30 short note at an appropriate location on your website or in your
31 discussion lists/user forums might be very effective... Any help you can
32 provide to publicize our research among your membership and constituents
33 would be very useful indeed!
34
35 I am very sensitive to issues of netiquette, so please feel free to modify
36 and abbreviate this message to a few lines, if you decide to post it for
37 publicizing.
38
39 Of course, our research is strictly academic, and has no commercial links
40 or interests whatsoever. We hope to publish this research in a sociology
41 journal.
42
43 As a small token of our appreciation for participants' time, and in the
44 spirit of the philosophy underlying the open-source movement, we will
45 donate a total of $500 to the five favorite organizations/ groups of our
46 participants' choice (we ask the participant's to nominate their favorite
47 groups in the survey). Of course, the findings of the study will be freely
48 available from my website or via email (upon request) in approximately two
49 months.
50
51 I hope you are able to help our effort. Please let me know if you have any
52 questions.
53
54 Thank you for your attention.
55