From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: glibc-2.26 and changes with SunRPC, libtirpc, ntirpc, libnsl (NIS and friends), ...
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:24:10
1 Am Dienstag, 19. September 2017, 22:38:17 CEST schrieb Luca Barbato:
2 > > REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( sunrpc libtirpc ntirpc )"
3 > > If rpc support is optional with useflag rpc, then this becomes
4 > > REQUIRED_USE="rpc? ( ^^ ( sunrpc libtirpc ntirpc ) )"
5 > >
6 > > Since the three options are coinstallable I see no problems with a package
7 > > only supporting a subset, but I have no clue how this interacts at
8 > > runtime.
9 >
10 > If they aren't ABI-compatible you would expect explosions once you link
11 > two libraries linked to the two different implementation (assuming they
12 > aren't macro-mangling everything).
13
14 Yep. So, apart from requiring "use the same implementation everywhere", i.e.
15 set the flag globally, and stating "if you micromanage, you have to contain
16 the explosions yourself" - is there anything else we can realistically do?
17
18 > We could check if the other libc could be switched to the external
19 > provider and play the lazy card and just always force an external
20 > implementation.
21
22 Two or three implementations doesnt make that much of a difference anymore...
25 Andreas K. Hüttel
26 dilfridge@g.o
27 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)